Sunday, May 3, 2009

East Columbus Magnet Academy

Last week I had the opportunity to visit East Columbus Magnet Academy. What a great school! Walk with me through it!
When you walk in you are welcomed by a sign that affirms, "Yes, we made AYP!" As you walk down the halls there is student work - in the commons area, outside classrooms, and inside classrooms. The students are welcomed by a teacher and the principal who stand in the commons area greeting them. If there are dress code violations they are addressed in a non-threatening and affirming manner. You don't leave the commons and enter the academic halls until the shirt tail is tucked!

(On this particular day, a group of students were going on a field trip to the Columbus Tech Career Expo and they had been encouraged to dress in business attire. One young man was dressed in a suit and you may have seen him on the front page of the Columbus Enquirer driving a front-end loader - in the suit! I met this young man's mother who I understand visits the school regularly. Thanks, Mom!)

As Mr. Scott, the Principal, and I walked through the building the instructional day had begun. In every classroom in which we entered,the students were already engaged in the work, teachers teaching, and students working hard - and it was only 8:15 a.m! When I remarked to the principal that they were quick to get started, his reply was, "we don't have any time to waste."

I must tell you about an eighth grader with whom I was so impressed! As we entered the classroom, he was standing in front of the class. On the whiteboard tray were three paintings. They were gorgeous works of art which were suitable for framing and for hanging on any wall in the city! He was explaining to the class the inspiration for each of the works because, you see, he was the artist! The insight with which he talked about his work was mature beyond his years and by the way, this was not an art class, but art was being integrated into the curriculum! When I think about the proposed Fine Arts Academy, I know that it is this kind of young artist that would flourish in that environment.

Mr. Scott also shared with me a portfolio of dozens of pictures showing rooms full of parents who had come for workshops and seminars at the school. He said there is no problem in getting the parents to the school! I think that has something to do with his leadership! He also praised the teachers as we walked through and pointed out their individual strengths.

Mr. Scott told me his vision for East Columbus. He stated that he wanted the community to be so proud of this school that they wouldn't think of sending their children to any other school in the city. I think he is well on his way to seeing that dream come true.

Thank you, Mr. Scott, for your leadership and for the great work being done at East Columbus Magnet Academy!

1 comment:

  1. I have had the honor of working with Mr. Scott at Midland Academy and I can say that his "can do" attitude carries over to everything he touches. He is a dynamic leader who inspires his teachers through his example. I am glad that you had the opportunity to see this and his impact on the students.

    ReplyDelete