Thursday, April 16, 2009

CRCT Week!!!! and Young Professionals

During this week the students in grades 1-8 have been immersed in CRCT testing. Currently the test is dreaded by most, but, you know, we really need to look at it as an opportunity to show off the learning that has occurred during the year. I firmly believe that a single test does not measure the full growth of our students but it is an indicator. I visited Fort Middle School last week and you could tell by being in the building that they were focused - focused on achievement, focused on school pride, and focused on making AYP. This focus was evident by both students and faculty. Ms Coaxum, the principal, told me, "We can taste the success of making AYP!" I believe they will do it! If they don't make Adequate Yearly Progress they will be so disappointed and I am sure that if they do miss it, it will be by just a few students or few subgroups. Go Fort!

The Young Professionals from the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce had a great reception this week to welcome me to Columbus. By now, I feel as if I have been here forever, but it was such a kind gesture and gave me an opportunity to talk with them. They are a great group of young leaders and I know we will continue to hear their names around this city for a long time. The Northside High School Choir sang. Oh my! Their beautiful and trained voices in the great acoustics of the Chamber Building was a wonderful thing to hear. The choral director was so skilled and enthusiastic. Public schools offer our children such great benefits and music instruction such as this adds so much to the quality of life for the students! I can't say enough about the quality of the music they produced. Columbus, you should be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment