Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spring Break!

Here we are! Another beautiful Spring Break! When the students in grades 1-8 return next week, they will be faced with taking the Criterion Referenced Competency Test (CRCT). As I have visited schools, I have seen teachers really drilling students on what they need to know. I speak to teachers with a forked tongue - I say, "It's not all about a test score." Then, I say, "I want the test scores to be great!" I believe in accountability and I want us to be accountable to the tax payers for the money we collect, but the test just doesn't begin to tell the public all of the great things that are going on in public schools.

Last week, I loved going to the Rose Hill Center, which is our alternative school for students who have violated the discipline code. Remember, these are not criminals and this is not jail! These are students who made bad choices and now they are away from their peers and their regular schools as punishment. But, what I saw at Rose Hill made my heart sing. The students were engaged in a carpentry class, building blue-bird boxes and solid wood lecturns. They were so proud of their work and the quality was great! There was a wonderful feeling of respect between the students and the adults. I enjoyed being there and I believe the students will go back to their home schools with different attitudes and with a determination to stay out of trouble and get their diploma! Great job, Rose Hill!

9 comments:

  1. Is there any data available that follows the Rosehill students as they return to their home schools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have data on students who attend Rose Hill Center and the data is very encouraging. There is very little recidivism and the average percentage of students passing the graduation tests who attend Rose Hill is better than the average in the regular program. There is other data that I don't have right here at my fingertips, but Mr. Freeman, the principal at Rose Hill, was quick to share it with me during my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Andrews, what is your feeling about an alternative school being "better" technologically and equipment -wise than a regular school since the view is that alternative students are a VERY diverse group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was there anything else going on at Rose Hill that you thought was interesting? Did you "speak" to any of the staff or the students?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I introduced myself to all of the staff members at Rose Hill who were present. I also talked to several students. I stayed at the school for about an hour, not long enough to have any extended conversations, but long enough to get a feel for the climate of the building on that particular day. It was interesting that the security officer who was assigned to Rose Hill that day made this comment to me when I met him, "This is a great school!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that we must strive for equity of technology, materials, and supplies for all of our schools and programs. Equity does not always mean equal, but it does mean fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post, I am an EBD teacher in our school district and I too believe that we should be guiding our youth to proper disipline rather than treating them like criminals. Way to go Rose Hill--Keep up the good work of believing in our youth!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also a special education teacher in our district and I want to thank you Dr. Andrews for your comment about equity. Too often people think the same is always equal, but that is simply not true and I'm excited to "hear" that leadership understands that concept. Students are always worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment about equity. I want all of our students to have opportunities for success. Some need much more support for that success to happen than others. There is a fine line we have to walk to make sure that we provide those opportunities without it appearing that one group is "favored" over another. Dealing with human beings and their needs, especially, children is the hardest job of all. Thank you, Teachers!

    ReplyDelete